JOIN TORYN'S EVENT HERE (MICROSOFT TEAMS)
The XR Creators speaker series is a regular event held by the XR Creators Unite community, where community members and others interested in VR and AR gather to share information. This week's featured speaker is Toryn Farr.
Toryn's Tech Bio:
• Started creating text adventures on the Commodore 64 in the late 80’s.
• Taught myself C++ when I was 11 (1991) and managed to get two text adventures sold on a store shelf in the summer between 7th and 8th grade.
• Went to college at the University of Wisconsin in Platteville with shifting majors. Frustrated that I head to learn to code in old languages like COBOL and IBM RPG. C++ on the other hand was bliss!
• Started working at Philips in Information Technology when I was 17 to pay for college.
• Dropped out of school to work full time as the sole IT person at a Philips manufacturing location of 600+ people. Did it all: desktop support, networking, server administration, and software development.
• First week in that role I was tasked with converting AS/400 apps written in RPG to something that would run on Windows. That moment when you need to use something about which you previously said: “I’ll never use this!”
• Stayed with Philips for over 22 years now in various roles. Current role is Developer, Cognitive Services focusing on creating interactive chat bots.
Early adopter of both AR and VR:
• I was a Google Glass Explorer in 2014
• Started working on a game (Terrace) for HoloLens in 2018
• Experimented with Magic Leap in 2019 (published a sample in the “Concepts” section of the Magic World app store)
• Currently working on Terrace for HoloLens 2.
• Jumped on the Google Cardboard bandwagon in 2014
• Went from Daydream 1 & 2, to WMR, to Oculus Quest
• Plan to eventually release Terrace for VR (likely for Quest and WMR)
Toryn's 'About Me':
• 41 years old. Gender non-binary, vegetarian, atheist, socialist, transhumanist. But you know… “labels” meh. 🤷🏻♂️
• Hobbies / Interests: software development (obviously), dancing (pre-pandemic), fashion, cybernetics, cryptocurrency, hydroponic gardening, robotics, yoga, Tai Chi, meditation
• Interesting / Weird facts: I was a Michael Jackson impersonator for 3 years.
XR Creators holds regularly scheduled events in Altspace VR and other social VR platforms, for anyone interested in VR and AR creation. Share ideas, collaborate, learn skills, and build connections. Join our Altspace channel and be among the first to be notified of upcoming speakers and events.
• 🐦 Follow us on Twitter!
• 📺 Subscribe to our YouTube channel to view streams of our past events!
• 👾 Join our Discord server too, where hundreds of members gather to discuss cool tech and their own work!